Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hello everyone out there!

This is Carmen speaking. This will be my last post on the Hester Street Collaborative blog. I have finally presented my research project on Van Cortlandt Park. Through all the researching and surveying, I gained a great deal of knowledge. Because the Van Cortlandts donated their property to NYC to be used as a public park, we now have numerous recreational facilities available to us. This public park has been around for years and continues to develop today. We are very fortunate to have many different organizations such as the Friends of Van Cortlandt Park, Van Cortlandt Nature Center and The Fellowship Group to maintain and enhance this park. They also offer various programs to educate the public about local environmental issues and gain sense of park stewardship. There are some problems in Van Cortlandt Park that the public and I thought should be taken into concern. We thought that there should be more bathrooms, lights, and trash cans scattered throughout the park. These things are pretty important in places where a lot of people attend. The park’s visitors will always need to use bathrooms. Lights will help them find their way and trash cans will remind people not to litter. Hopefully we will see some beneficial changes in the future.









As an intern at Hester Street Collaborative, I learned many new skills such as silk screening, gardening and working with kids. I also learned about product design which is something that I have great interest in. I plan to further explore this area in the future. If it is possible, I would like to come back to Hester Street Collaborative during the fall. I looked forward to coming into work everyday this summer. This program was not only a terrific working experience, but was also very enjoyable. Let’s hope that I will be back soon so until then, good bye my friends! Go out and do something good for your community!

No comments: