Friday, May 25, 2007

the weather is getting warmer!

Xing here! Summer’s here!

With the weather getting warmer, we started to do some major garden work at P.S.134. A couple of weeks ago, Anne and Dylan took us to the Storefront, to view some architecture works presented and it has become one of my favorite days here. It was especially fun and very inspirational for me because I am going to major in Architecture! We brainstormed afterwards and did some paver designs that would best suit the garden and its new look. We decided on “garden creatures” and used the small geometric shapes that the kids at P.S. 134 are learning in class. I started with a tomato but it soon developed into a mosaic green ant. Yanely designed a bird and Wawa made a water pot design. I had a lot of fun with experimenting/mixing concrete and the designing part of the process but cutting the mosaic to pieces to fit the design nicely was quite challenging for me. The small mosaic pieces never come out right for me when I try to cut it but nevertheless, the outcomes came out looking GREAT! We then use these pavers as examples for the children of P.S.134 to make their own design using the geometric shapes Dylan cut out. And for the past two weeks, we have been making form works and cutting shapes for these new pavers so that they will look great! It was really fun seeing the cool designs little kids were able to come up with. While the pavers are being casted, the garden is also starting to look organized on its own.

before and after mosaic. and there's MY ANT!

we're all working hard at the garden. Thumbs up =D

It’s my last week here interning at Hester Street Collaborative. Very sad to leave but it has definitely been a pleasure to work here. I gained many new skills and great experiences at Hester Street Collaborative. Very thankful to Dylan and Anne and the opportunities given at HSC =D

No comments: